Sunday, July 27, 2014

Day 5 - The adventure reaches its first week

It's been a week since the injury happened and I'm having a hard time reconciling everything that's changed in a week. What a difference seven days makes.

I thought we'd had a good night. I put his inflatable e-collar on, gave him a sedative, and headed up to sleep in my own bed for the first time in a week. When I came down, everything seemed fine. He was laying quietly in his crate, sleeping. I lay on the couch and dozed for a little, read a little. When I went to get him his breakfast, though, I realized he wasn't coming closer.

Mom. I really hate this crap
You betcha. His bandage caught on something in his crate and he'd been stuck for I have no idea how long. He wasn't in an uncomfortable position, but he was still forced to stay in one place. I got him out, and another pee was achieved (he's doing better at that), but I realized that we were going to have to go back to the emergency vet. Again. Because he kept whimpering in pain I was positive he'd hurt something, undone something, but the ER vet said he looked fine. And...bandage #4 was applied.

Enjoying his pen
Once we got back home from that, he had some more pain meds and seds and he had a quiet day. He's so much happier in his little pen and I think it might make his mandatory crate time easier. And that time is going to increase soon. Tuesday, I'm going back to work, so he'll be here and in his crate alone.

Part of me knows he'll be fine - because he's used to being alone and snoozing during the day while we're at work - but this is different.

One thing no one told me - butt seepage. He's gone poop twice since the surgery, but the last time was Friday, I think( the days are blurring together) and ever since he's been...sort of leaking poop. That's a lot of unexpected fun.

Had a few bad dog mom moments today where I went from wishing this didn't happen at all to thinking...about the other road we could have taken rather than surgery and just thinking for a few minutes how much less stress I'd be under, how I could enjoy the family reunion I have to go to this week (gone for 10 days) and so on. It was a bad, bad moment.

2 comments:

  1. I think my first comment got lost.

    I don't think it makes you a bad dog mom to think of the other options that were/are available to you for pet care. Makes you a good one. You considered ALL the options and chose the one best for your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, sweetie. I needed to hear that.

    ReplyDelete