Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Day 1 - Home

Got the call this morning that Dex had a good night and was ready to be picked up. We decided to pick him up at noon, well past the time the doctor had office visits so the waiting area would be empty of other dogs.

It was so good to see him again. I immediately went down to the ground to rub his ears and kiss his head. His tail started wagging and I felt like everything was right in my world again. Then I tried to help all 85 pounds of him to walk with the leash and sling.

Take me home, Mom!

Ouch. My back is already hating me a lot.

One thing I never thought of, and no one ever told me, is that the bandage covers the bottom of his foot and because of it, he doesn't want to put his leg down because he can't feel the ground with it. Makes trying to get him to go outside, or anywhere, a challenge.

I've also felt more like the mother of a newborn than the mother of a dog today. Every time he shifts, or pants, it's guessing game time. Is he in pain? Thirsty? Hungry? Hot? Have to pee?

I wasn't a huge fan of that when the boys were babies, I'm still not now.

We've tried twice to get him to go outside to pee. Both were dismal failures. I did manage to get him outside, but all he wanted to do was flump over. I'm going to try again in an hour or so. If nothing happens, he's getting a diaper so he doesn't accident it and pee all over his bandage.

Chicken, rice and yogurt noms!

He's drinking, though, and eating. Tonight's dinner was antibiotics and anti-inflammatories mixed with boiled chicken, rice and a little plain yogurt. He snarfed that stuff down, so his appetite is still good.

We've also discovered that the Kong Inflatable e-collar is pretty much useless. It doesn't prevent him from getting at his bandage, or his patch, and he's already taken it off of himself twice. Tomorrow I'm going to get the soft-sided version from PetSmart. I can't stand the huge-ass plastic thing so I will only use it if I absolutely have to.

It's hard to see him so stoned, but I know it's best for him to rest, and rest lots while his poor body heals.  As hard as today has been, I'm glad he's home, glad to be on the first step of this journey rather than still be waiting for it to begin. I don't kid myself that it's going to be anything but trying and challenging. But he's going to be himself again. I've got my eyes on that.











No comments:

Post a Comment