Friday, July 25, 2014

Day 3 - Challenges

Saying goodnight to daddy
 I remember thinking to myself as I logged in to work that it had been a good morning. Okay, he got restless at 4.30 and needed pain meds, and again I was up at 5.30, but we got him up and moving. Even got him outside and he peed. Getting excited over this dog peeing makes me laugh.

He's a neutered male but marking is a big thing with him. Most of the time on walks, we had a hard time keeping him from peeing every thirty feet or so. Now, I'm thrilled stupid if I get a little steam of pee. I'm looking forward to the happy days that he marks every damned bush in the neighborhood again.

He didn't go again today, and hasn't pooped since yesterday morning, but vet says that's okay, as long as he's eating and drinking.  Which he is, though not quite as much as he used to.

Then the day moved on and I realized that he wasn't settling. He was really restless in his crate and started panting. Worried that he was crate anxious, I gave him another half of his sedative (about 3 hours early), but that didn't make any real difference. I fretted a little about pain until I gave him his pain meds...but half an hour after those were administered, still no difference.

Finally sleeping
Tried taking him out, he wouldn't go and would barely walk. Tried letting him lay on the floor with me next to him, he still wouldn't settle, so I put him back in his crate and looked at the blankets I had in there.

The ortho pad has a top lining of sheepskin. I had a fleece blanket and a quilt in there, too.

What a concept - he was panting because it was hot.

I had moved the little fan outside his crate to point and over the spot where he lays down, thinking it might be annoying to have it blowing on him. Apparently, it was doing it's job of keeping his bedding cool so when he did get too hot, he could roll over and go to a cooler spot.

Felt like a complete derp mom.

Lesson learned: Less is more in the crate.



Mom's bruised feet

I'm getting better at leash and sling walking with him - though I have had moments of trying "tail-hold" walking when I'm hoping he'll pee so he doesn't pee on the sling.

Best news is, he's walking well on all four legs. Unfortunately, we sometimes get a little tangled up and his feet end up on mine. Ouch moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment