Saturday, July 26, 2014

Day 4 - A Day full of Maybes...as in maybe it's this that's bothering him

The little challenges that come up are starting to drive me mental. Like tearing my hair out crazy.

First, when I got up this morning, he'd messed (poo) in the crate so it was time to strip the quilt and cover, wash them, and put them, and him, back in again.

Sorry, Mo
Vet visit
Then, once that was done, I saw a dark spot on his bandage. I did the bad thing and went to Google and found that it could be seepage through his bandage...which is a bad thing. So I let that cycle into worry about infection and ... in we went to the emergency vet. Two hours later we were home with a new bandage (no seepage, it was just dirt from his other foot, but it was slipping down his leg again.)

Finally got him home, settled, more sedation and a few hours nap. Then the fun started.

He wouldn't settle in his crate for anything. He kept getting up, dragging at the crate pad as if trying to nest into it, trying to get onto the part of the crate not covered by the pad. This lovely orthopedic pad I bought just for his convalescence.

So, it was back to PetSmart for another, thinner pad. He hated that one almost at once. Scratching at it, up every few minutes to readjust.

Went early on the sedative and he settled a little more, but not what I was used to over the first few days.

I've made some adjustments to the crate - I wrapped the metal part of the liner pad with the quilt - thinking the metal on metal sound was annoying him. Then I put one of our bath mats in there. He loved lying on the one in our bathroom before this happened, so maybe he'll find some comfort with this one.

Tonight he's out of his crate and I'm sitting over on the floor next to him and he seems more at ease than he's been most of the day.  He can stretch out to "sideways dog" position better and maybe he was going a little stir crazy being crated all the time.

Going to ask the vet on Monday when we go in to get bandage off (finally!) about how much is too much for moving around the room. I'm so paranoid about not letting him do too much that maybe I'm being too restrictive of his activity when we're here.

Maybe. Always with the maybes.

No comments:

Post a Comment